Sunday, September 25, 2011

Haitian style sawmill.......unbelieveable


I am sorry about not blogging the internet is terrible in haiti 
      I woke up Thursday, had my cup of joe and at about 8:00 a.m a interesting noise came from the neighbors next door ( usually I never hear anything on that property except the annoying Haitian dog that barks for an hour right before I go to bed) And that is why it was interesting, it sounded like a hand saw, So I was at the table and looked next door, this Haitian guy was standing on a tree that was cut down. The log was suspended 15 ft up in the air, one side tied to a large standing tree the other side was held up by a network of sticks and logs shoved up against the bottom of the log.
They had an old time two man saw, just MAN power, on guy on top of the log and one on bottom, this human sawmill looked like very hard work ( its not for the faint of heart, not a light workout at Golds gym) . As I sat at the table sipping at my coffee, this sawing motion went on and on without stopping. At 10:00 still sawing, so I decided to put my video camera on this Haitian sawmill, ( this log was 20 ft long and about 40 in in diameter, They cut the log in 1” thick pieces, about 10 cuts). I put the camera on and started to time them, from start to finish one cut, one plank of wood 40 minutes. They had to cut almost to the end of the board and stopped, then started a new cut. I left at 11:00 and got back to the house at 4:00 and they were still working on the log, no breaks, It was unbelievable.
The only thing I can say is EVERYTHING in Haiti is MANual, it's like a setting back in the 1800's when everything was hand made without power tools. I give the Haitians credit they do know how to get the job done ( I know I would not last 30 minutes doing what they did!) I got up today they started doing the same thing today, Doing the Haitian sawmill, will not be the job I will have when I come down her long term! Scott





No comments:

Post a Comment