Saturday, September 24, 2011

The tale of the nurses and drug runner Part 1


      Last week, I called Megan Haug, She is the co-founder of the  Leve Project, in Cayes Jacmel, about 10-15 miles from Jacmel http://www.facebook.com/leveproject. In our conversation, she mentioned she had 4 nurses coming down from Franklin, Tenn, which is outside of Nashville, So I offered whatever I had to assist her and the team, mostly my camera lens. So it came to be, I was made the Official Photographic Consultant, OPC for short, OK, I just made that up! I was picked to be the photographer, because I had a better camera then everyone else combined, plus I didn't know anything about nursing.
     On Monday morning, I drove out to the Bamboo club in Cayes Jacmel, Megan meet me there and followed her down a long dirt road until we stopped by a house and on the side of the house was a white Army wall tent that was donated by USAID . So everyone( Leigh, Kay, Lisa, Bronwen, Bronwens mother) started hiking up the Jungle until there was the first plateau, with a unfinished church and the house of the leader of the community, their front doors where facing each other. When we got to the church, we started to unpack all the suitcases, filled with medical supplies, medications and whatever else was donate for the trip, at the same time, people in the village started to come and gather around the church.
      A little side note, these villages are interesting, instead of roads connecting the community together, they have footpaths or trails that lead off in different directions. When you walk on these paths sooner or later you will come to your next door neighbor, uncle Larrys house or the bread lady, this is real community. It reminds me of the 1800's, were they had their plot of land and everyone in the family did whatever it took to provide subsistence for them and help out their neighbor whenever they can.
      The first day went great, they saw 40 people, nothing to serious, I had the best job of taking pictures of these sweet people, the kids were the best, I think I was the best entertainment than going to a movie on saturday night. I would take their picture, then run over to me, making sure I would show them the picture I took,  usually they would laugh and ask to take another, then the whole process would start all over again.So we had PB&J for lunch, than headed back to work and we worked until 3:00. We would be back in the morning at 9:00 am

Megan from the Leve project 
climbing up to the clinic




The church




The smile only a dentist would love






A hard day

my favorite picture

 I have been know to get the meds out for the ladies, that why the drug runner........You thought......I was....an actual drug runner!

No comments:

Post a Comment